Cubicle Warrior’s blog, week 37 of 213 (1,200 more days to military retirement). This week started off with the inauguration of Barack Obama. Congratulations, Mr. President. Ben Franklin would have some good advice for you:
Only a virtuous people are capable of freedom. As nations become more corrupt and vicious, they have more need of masters.
— Ben Franklin, April 17, 1787
- Happy 33rd birthday anniversary to my little brother! Each year I find it harder to face the fact that my little brother is another year further removed from being that cute little kid in diapers.
- Video footage of Rissa at the San Diego ATA tournament.
- Video footage of JR at the San Diego ATA tournament.
- Manti Te’o jokes. In case you missed it, here are 10 of the top jokes on Manti Te’o.
- Manti Te’o wasn’t missing tackles in the National Championship, he was hugging his girlfriend.
- If you having girl problems I feel bad for you son Manti Teo has 99 problems but a girl ain’t one.
- On the bright side for Manti Te’o, his relationship was probably better than any Taylor Swift has had.
- These Te’o jokes are all very funny but let’s all try and remember that a person who never existed is dead.
- Brent Musberger hasn’t seen Te’o’s girlfriend either, but he is assured, real or fake, that she is smokin’.
- At least my girlfriend, Halle Berry, is real. It’s just the relationship that’s imaginary.
- Two pople that don’t know what its like to be touched by Manti Te’o, his imaginary girlfriend and Eddie Lacy.
- In response to the T’eo fake girlfriend story, AJ McCarron said, “Only 5% of my girlfriend is fake. I win again.”
- Just heard “AJ McCarron’s girlfriend will be featured in SI Swimsuit Edition, while Manti Te’o’s girlfriend will be feature on Mythbusters”.
- What do Manti Te’o’s “girlfriend” and Obama have in common? Neither have been able to produce a birth certificate!
- You can see the American economy changing from space.
“That new constellation of lights [in the picture above] is evidence of a major shift in the American—and global—economy. They come from the fire of natural gas burning as companies work all night to extract petroleum from the Bakken formation under North Dakota, a place whose citizens now refer to it as “Kuwait on the prairie,” according to NPR’s Robert Krulwich.
This is “fracking,” the controversial technology using water and chemicals pumped into the ground to shatter bedrock and gain access to the surrounding oil and natural gas. While some drillers are specifically tapping gas reserves, others that are going after the oil often just flare off the accompanying gas, because the oil is more profitable. As a result, some 29% of the gas being extracted goes to waste—or rather, into creating this spectacular light show.” [READ MORE from qz.com]
- 2 Days in the Valley. I forgot how much I liked this movie when I first watched it 16 years ago. I watched this in the day room of my tech school dormitory. Good times.
- Preview of the Samsung Galaxy S4. “The Galaxy S4 is rumored to sport a 4.99-inch Full HD AMOLED touchscreen display, an eight-core Exynos 5 Octa processor, 2GB of RAM, 13-megapixel camera and Jelly Bean right out of the box. However, these specs are not confirmed at this time either.” [READ MORE]
- Happy(?) Inauguration Day. In honor of President Barack Obama’s inauguration, I figured I would explain the history of official oaths… President: “I do solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute the office of the President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States.” [READ MORE]
- Florida Gators hire Brad Lawing as defensive line coach to replace Dan Quinn, who recently left to a job as defensive coordinator for the Seattle Seahawks.