Cubicle Warrior’s blog, week 13 of 213.
It is always wise to look ahead, but difficult to look further than you can see . Now that the family has been here for a couple weeks, I am finally settling into the routine that will carry me through the next 200 weeks. 200 weeks! That is 200 more ****ing Mondays in this assignment as a
salesman cubicle engineer. Meanwhile, an uprising of zombies bureaucrats has invaded the town government.
Sigh. I like the Los Angeles area, but dislike the [REDACTED FOR JOB SECURITY], the constant [REDACTED FOR JOB SECURITY], and never-ending [REDACTED FOR JOB SECURITY]. I should not have complained so much in my last assignment. “The grass is not always greener on the other side”, not that I really had a choice. It was Los Angeles, California or Dayton, Ohio. Let us run through the Careerbuilder.com checklist to see if my job really does suck:
- Hate going to work (yes)
- Co-workers do not respect you (yes)
- Wish you were somewhere else (yes)
- Cry constantly (yes…see this blog?)
- Daydream of punching small animals (yes, but replace “small animals” with “stupid people”)
- Sit next to this guy (yes)
- Make tons of money (yes…I should stop complaining, right?)
It is difficult for me to look ahead at my career, but even more difficult to look further than I can see. Maybe these four years here will pay off. For now, I will continue taking it one day at a time, at least for another 1403 days.
Leadership is solving problems. The day soldiers stop bringing you their problems is the day you have stopped leading them. They have either lost confidence that you can help or concluded you do not care. Either case is a failure of leadership . I have to reiterate this quote from an earlier blog entry, because it is once again relevant. I miss leading people.
Civium in moribus rei publicae salus . The University of Florida has 37 athletes in the 2012 Olympics. At one point on Saturday, the Gator Nation would have ranked 4th in total medal count. As a bonus, the University of Florida Fightin’ Gator Marching Band, also known as The Pride of the Sunshine, had the honor of playing for the Queen and in the opening ceremonies.
- Venice Beach is supposedly a great place to visit. Check. I visited. It was probably a nice place back in the 1980s. Now everything is old. The street performances were probably fresh and new a long time ago, but it is time for new material.
- XMA World Headquarters is a nice place for the kids to train.
- White Point Beach has more sites to see along the rocks.
- Details on the UF football program’s 106 years, 3 national titles, 8 conference championships, 39 bowl appearances, 66 consensus All Americans, 236 All SEC players, 669 all-time wins
- Schedule, roster, coaching staff, and statistics
- Sir Winston Churchill
- University of Florida motto
- Colin Powell
This week’s entries:
- Jambalaya, Bubba Gump Shrimp & Co., Long Beach, CA [LINK]. Summary: I love Bubba Gump, especially on the patio!
- Aquarium of the Pacific, Long Beach, CA [LINK]. Summary: Go there once, then move along.
- Venice Beach, CA [LINK]. Summary: over-rated.
- Cubicle Warrior’s Review of The Dark Knight Rises [LINK]. Summary: Must-see, but slightly disappointing.
- 35 Days to Gator Football: Brandon Spikes [LINK]
- 36 Days to Gator Football: David Little [LINK]
- 37 Days to Gator Football: Charley Casey [LINK]
- 38 Days to Gator Football: Larry Smith [LINK]
- 39 Days to Gator Football: Steve Tannen [LINK]
- 40 Days to Gator Football: Sammy Green [LINK]
- 41 Days to Gator Football: Jarvis Williams [LINK]
- Week 1 of 213 (May 6, 2012) (walterkilar.wordpress.com)
- Week 2 of 213 (May 13, 2012) (walterkilar.wordpress.com)
- Week 3 of 213 (May 20, 2012) (walterkilar.wordpress.com)
- Week 4 of 213 (May 30, 2012) (walterkilar.wordpress.com)
- Week 7 of 213 (June 17, 2012) (walterkilar.wordpress.com)
- Week 8 of 213 (June 28, 2012) (walterkilar.wordpress.com)
- Week 10 of 213 (July 8, 2012) (walterkilar.wordpress.com)
- Week 11 of 213 (July 15, 2012) (walterkilar.wordpress.com)
- Week 12 of 213 (July 22, 2012) (walterkilar.wordpress.com)
- Week 13 of 213 (July 29, 2012) (firstname.lastname@example.org)